Saturday, May 9, 2009

snakes and pie

Mira and I went to the farmers' market today. It was mobbed but still fun. There was a 4-man band playing CCR songs and we picked up a huge bouquet of lilacs. We also managed to find some excellent looking rhubarb (since our rhubarb has a whole year to grow before we can harvest it). We turned the rhubarb into this:


Pie1


We like our rhubarb with strawberries in pie form. A custard base for the filling provides a creamy/sweet complement to the tart rhubarb. I had to make my own crust this time because my last pie was nearly rendered inedible by those ready-made store-bought atrocities.


Pie2


 A brushing of cream followed by a sprinkling of raw sugar finishes it before baking.


So while the pie was baking the girls and I went outside and ran into this guy:


Snakey


Yikes! I'll now be paranoid to weed or work in my garden beds lest he decides to make another appearance. Snakes terrify me but the girls were fascinated by him for at least a half hour.





No comments:

Post a Comment