Tuesday, June 15, 2010

balsamic strawberry-rhubarb jam

After our trip to the strawberry patch, we were left with way more berries than we could eat. On top of that, my rhubarb started to get out of control again. Solution to both problems? Strawberry-rhubarb jam with a splash of balsamic vinegar.


In case you would also like to whip up a batch, here's how: Since I don't like huge pices (small ones are ok) of fruit in my jam, I started by running the strawberries through my food processor to coarsely chop them. I then combined the strawberries with sugar (based on the ratios given on the Sure Jell box) and left them to do their thing for a while (about 5 hours). I did the same for the roughly chopped rhubarb and gave 'em a stir every hour or so.

Now it's time to cook: After their sugar soak, I strained out the fruit and put the resulting juices into a large pot and brought it to a boil. After about 5 minutes of boiling the juice to concentrate the flavors a bit, I added the rhubarb and cooked for 4-5 minutes (I wanted the rhubarb to almost completely break down). After the rhubarb reached my desired consistency, I stirred in the chopped strawberries, 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, and the pectin and boiled for 1 more minute before pouring the concoction into the jars. The color is a rich wine red and they look amazing. And the leftover jam that I managed to scrape from the pot was very tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment